As a statewide virtual reference service, the success of Ask a Librarian is built on the collaboration of member libraries. This collaboration allows all Florida residents to have virtual reference assistance through live chat or texting during all business hours, regardless of whether those libraries are currently open or staffing. Library users can also email their local library staff. Ask a Librarian member libraries agree to work with Ask a Librarian staff and other participating libraries to provide service in the statewide collaborative Ask a Librarian service. The number of hours each library contributes varies according to the size of the participating library system and staff availability for that library.
The responsibilities of the partner library include participating in such activities as:
- Having all participating staff attend training for Ask a Librarian.
- Contributing librarians’ time to staff the collaborative service.
- Assigning staff to answer local email through either the AaL software or through a “Contact Us” URL on the library’s website.
- Promoting use of Ask a Librarian to library users, including providing a link to the service from the library’s website.
Ask a Librarian’s responsibilities include:
- Maintaining the collaborative live reference software for chat and texting and asynchronous software for email.
- Providing access to the software for local use.
- Providing training and ongoing support for library staff.
There are many benefits to joining Ask a Librarian! For more information or to become a member of Ask a Librarian, please contact Member Services Coordinator Jessica Riggins at email@example.com today.